Early in history, the National Association of REALTORSŪ (NAR) recognized a need
for specialists to better serve the public and to assist other members in serving their clients with specific interests. Like
all association members, those REALTORSŪ involved in specializations subscribe to the association's strict Code of Ethics,
in addition to the standards and ethical practices set by each of NAR's seven affiliated organizations in which they may hold
Through membership in NAR's affiliated institutions, societies and councils, members devote themselves to continuous
study of the most recent trends in their respective fields. The affiliates award specialty designations that recognize a member's
advanced education and experiences in a particular area. Courses offered through the affiliates keep members abreast of developments
in their specialized fields.
The following are designations bestowed on REALTORSŪ who complete advanced courses through NAR affiliates:
- ABR (Accredited Buyer Representative)
- ALC (Accredited Land Consultant) - specializes in subdivision development, real estate marketing, investment land, and
- AMO (Accredited Management Organization) - property management firms.
- ARM (Accredited Manager) - recognition award to on-site managers.
- CCIM (Certified Commercial Investment Member) - provides competent service in commercial-investment real estate.
- CPM (Certified Property Manager) - property and asset managers who meet certain standards of experience, education,
and ethical conduct.
- CRB (Certified Real Estate Brokerage Manager) - provides real estate brokerage management.
- CRE (Counselor of Real Estate) - offers competent, independent real estate advice and guidance on a fee basis to consumers.
- CRS (Certified Residential Specialist) - promotes professional competency through education in sales and marketing.
- GRI (Graduate REALTORŪ Institute)
- LTG (Leadership Training Graduate) - offers programs and systems for personal career growth.
- RCE (REALTORŪ Certified Executive) - a specialized designation for corporate real estate executives.
- RRC (Referral and Relocation Certification)
In addition to specialized educational programs and professional standards, each of NAR's
affiliates publishes journals, magazines, newsletters, or reports to keep members informed of recent developments in their
particular area. REALTORSŪ can better serve the public by addressing trends and issues in the real estate industry.